1. The isomeric pair is
(a) ethane and propane
(b) propane and butane
(c) ethane and ethane
(d) butane and 2-methyl propane
2. The structural formula of ethyl ethanoate
3. Which of the following is used to oxidise ethanol to ethanoic acid?
(a) Alkaline KMnO4
(b) Conc. H2SO4
(c) Acidified K2Cr2O7
(d) All of above
4. The compound which gives a brisk effervescence with sodium metal and not with sodium hydrogen carbonate is
(b) ethanoic acid
(c) both ethanoic acid and ethanol
(d) none of these
5. Identify the product formed when methane reacts with chlorine in the presence of sunlight is
(d) None of these
6. Which is denatured spirit?
(a) ethanol only
(b) ethanol and methanol (50%)
(c) ethanol and methanol (5%)
(d) methanol only
7. Drinking alcohol and driving may cause serious accidents. To discourage this, police randomly test drivers for alcohol using a breath analyser. The breath analyser works because
(a) Alcohol makes the breath dry and the machine registers moisture
(b) Alcohol makes the breath hotter which changes the machine reading
(c) Alcohol causes more saliva which the machine checks.
(d) Alcohol in the breath cause a chemical change registered by the machine.
8. Tertiary butane gets oxidised with oxidising agents like alkaline KMNO4 to
(b) Ter-butyl alcohol
(c) Secondary-propyl alcohol
(d) All of above
9. According to IUPAC system, the correct name of the organic compound is
(a) 2-bromobutanoic acid
(b) 2-bromobutysis acid
(c) 3-bromobutanoic acid
10. The substance not responsible for the hardness of water is
(a) sodium nitrate
(b) calcium hydrogen carbonate
(c) calcium carbonate
(d) magnesium carbonate
11. The by product of soap is
(d) ethylene glycol
12. Covalent compounds
(a) have high melting and boiling points
(b) are mostly soluble in water
(c) are formed between atoms of metals and non-metals
(d) are formed by the sharing of electrons in the bonding atoms.
13. The heteroatoms present is CH3 – O – CH2 – CH2 (Br)
14. Vinegar is a solution of
(a) 30% – 40% acetic acid in alcohol
(b) 5% – 8% acetic acid in alcohol
(c) 5% – 8% acetic acid in water
(d) 15% – 20% acetic acid in water
15. Which of the following can be used for the denaturation of ethyl alcohol?
(a) Methyl alcohol
(c) Copper sulphate
(d) All of above
16. Soaps are formed by saponification of
(c) simple esters
(d) carboxylic acids
17. The correct electron dot structure of a water molecule is
18. Acetic acid was added to a liquid X kept in a test tube. A colourless and odourless gas Y was evolved. The gas was passed through lime water which turned milky. It was concluded that:
(a) Liquid X is sodium hydroxide and the gas Y is CO2
(b) Liquid X is sodium carbonate and the gas Y is CO2
(c) Liquid X is sodium acetates and the gas Y is CO2
(d) Liquid X is sodium chloride and the gas Y is SO2.
19. For gas welding used for welding broken pieces of iron, we normally use a mixture of
(a) Ethane and oxygen
(b) Ethene and oxygen
(c) Ethyne and oxygen
(d) Ethene and air
20. Identify the compound that undergoes bromination reaction:
21. Bromine reacts with saturated hydrocarbon at room temperature in the
(a) absence of sunlight
(b) presence of water
(c) presence of sunlight
(d) presence of hydrochloric acid
22. The number of single and double bonds present in benzenes are
(a) 9 and 6
(b) 9 and 3
(c) 12 and 3
(d) 12 and 6
23. Identify the correct way of numbering an organic compound (according to IUPAC)
24. Identify the functional group present in the following compound
(d) both bromine and carboxylic group
25. The upper and lower homologue of C2H5OH are respectively
(a) methyl alcohol and butyl alcohol
(b) ethyl alcohol and propyl alcohol
(c) butyl alcohol and propyl alcohol
(d) propyl alcohol and methyl alcohol
26. Which is not true about homologous series?
(a) They have same general formula.
(b) They differ from other by CH3 group.
(c) They have same functional group.
(d) They have same chemical properties.
27. Name the following aromatic compound
28. Ethanoic acid was added to sodium carbonate solution and the gas evolved was tested with a burning splinter. The following four observations were reported. Identify the correct observation.
(a) The gas burns with pop sound and the flame gets extinguished
(b) The gas does not burn but the splinter burns with pop sound
(c) The flame extinguishes and the gas does not burn
(d) The gas burns with a blue flame and the splinter burns brightly
29. Which of the following is not a straight chain?
30. The general formula for alkanes is CnH2n+1–CHO. The value of ‘n’ for the first member.
31. An organic compound ‘X’ has the molecular formula C3H6O2. It has a pleasant smell but does not turn blue litmus red. It has structural formula