1. Write IUPAC names of :-
Ans. 5 – Methyloctan-3-ol
Ans. 1-Chloro propan-2-ol
Ans. Pentan – 1,3,4 – triol
Ans. 2 – Methylpropan -2-ol
Ans. 1,3 – Dibromo – 4- chloro – 2- butanol
Ans. 5 – Chloro – 4 – ethyl – 5- methyl hexanol.
Ans. 2 – Phenyl ethanol
Ans. 2- Methyl phenol.
Ans. 4- Bromo -3, 3,5 – trimethyl – hex -1-ene- 2,5- diol
Ans. 2,3 – Dimethylbutan – 2,3 –diol
2. Write structural formula and give IUPAC names :-
i. Benzyl Alcohol
ii. Ethylene Glycol
iv. m- cresol
ix. Isopropyl methylether
3. What is denatured alcohol?
Ans. Industrial alcohol (ethyl alcohol) is made unfit for drinking purpose by addition of a small quantity of poisonous substance, methanol. This is called denatured alcohol. For denaturation, copper sulphate or pyridine can also be added.
4. Mention two important uses of methanol.
Ans. Uses of methanol:-
(i) It is used for denaturing alcohol.
(ii) It is used as a solvent for paints & varnishes.
5. Arrange in the increasing order of acid strength.
Ans. The order is.
6. Give the structure of main product of action of excess of on phenol.
Ans. The main product will be 2,4,6-tribromophenol.
7. What is wood sprit? Why is it so called?
Ans. Wood spirit is methanol. It is so called because earlier it was obtained from destructive distillation of wood only.
8. Identify allylic alcohols in the above examples.
Ans. The alcohols given in (ii) and (vi) are allylic alcohols.